Subject: Re: Dial-up w/ pppd
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/21/1997 11:55:32
At 02:09 PM 4/21/97 +0200, Patric Sauer wrote:

>Hi !
>
>How to arrange a 'dial-up on demand' with pppd ???
>Simple dial-up (not on demand) works fine (I followed the instructions
>of the Networking-FAQ).
>The problem is that I don't know my local IP address at ppp0.
>It'll be dynamically collected by the ISC.
>Please help.
>
>Patric.

The kernel ppp service does not naturally do demand-dialup, at least, not
with the version I use. What does work is the ppp-to-tun program, also
called iij-ppp, or user-ppp. I'm not altogether sure of its status with
netbsd, but it's used frequently to get ppp on freebsd and BSDI. I'd
reccommend doing a search on "ppp unix" on yahoo and altavista, and looking
for japanese names:)

It has a way of doing demand-dialed ppp by waiting for packets to arrive at
the interface and then dailing the network to send them. It's hard to
configure, but then, isn't ppp always.

Cheers, and good luck,
John

If you ever see an ambulance with sirens blaring and
twin 50mm cannons on top, do not interpret this as a
Good Sign. Be very, very frightened, in fact.