Subject: Re: Motif Libraries
To: Paul Hollow (4Y0) <ph-a@ugrad.cs.york.ac.uk>
From: Jim Reid <jim@mpn.cp.philips.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/11/1997 17:11:33

    Paul> Can anyone tell me where I can get the Motif libraries for
    Paul> NetBSD from?  Is there a public domain distribution, or will
    Paul> i have to buy a commercial product?  How much do commercial
    Paul> products go for?

AFAIK, Motif is *not* in the public domain and is licensed by the Open
Software Foundation. It is available to academic institutions for
academic and research purposes for a nominal sum - $100 or so. If your
usage fits the terms of that licence, this may be the best way to
proceed, though you'll need to get someone official at the university
to order the software and sign the licence. Speak nicely to your
system manager.

I would imagine that commercial licences for Motif will cost an arm
and a leg. The Open Software Foundation (www.osf.org) should be able
to advise.