Subject: UUCP / Serial comms problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Malcolm Butler <malb@bellman.apana.org.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/31/1997 15:53:26
Hi,

I'm trying to get UUCP working on a SparcStation2.  I have a version
of the current source tree from around March 14.  The kernel itself
seems to run very well.  I don't know whether this is a problem with
UUCP, NetBSD, the Sparc, or something else.

The symptoms are that UUCP logs in correctly to the remote host, then
(usually) fails to complete the handshake process, complaining that
there was an incorrect CRC.  It retries this for a while, then gives
up.  Occasionally it will correctly handshake, but fail to exchange
any meaningful data, again reporting bad CRCs.

The serial ports appear to work, as it communicates without problems
running PPP, and talking directly to a dumb terminal.  Due to the
well-known Sun serial port quirks, I can't rule out problems in this
area, but I have tried at a wide range of bit rates with no change in
behaviour.  This is only talking to a 14400 bps modem, so the
performance required is not demanding.

I believe the UUCP configuration to be correct, as I have a Linux 486
box that is set up in essentially the same configuration, which runs
without problems.  THe Linux box has Taylor UUCP 1.06.1, as opposed to
1.05 on NetBSD, but I have also tried 1.06.1 under NetBSD (compiled from
the same sources as the Linux version), with no change in results.

I have also tried to run UUCP over TCP/IP on a PPP link, but I believe
the remote host is not configured to accept this mode.  This will be
my next experiment.

Any ideas or tests to pursue will be most gratefully received.

regards,

--
Malcolm Butler               malb@bellman.apana.org.au
The kingdom of heaven is like unto a Net  (Matt. 13,xlvii)