Subject: Re: hanging
To: Tony Lawson <zebedee@dircon.co.uk>
From: Nick Loman <nick@csosl.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/1997 11:35:45
At 10:57 AM 29-03-97 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi, I have a problem with my NetBSD installation.
>
>I'm running NetBSD 1.2 on a pentium 90 with 32 MB ram and a Seagate
>scsi hard drive (with an Adaptec adaptor). Its connected to a LAN.
>
>The problem is that approximately a week after each reboot, the machine
>just hangs. There are no console msgs, and the message log contains
>nothing.
>
>I don't know where to start to try and find out what is happening.
>Please help!

Is your Adaptec adapter on an ISA bus? If so, it will have problems if you
have more than 16mb of memory. Something to do with DMA :)

Solutions:
 i) patch file (ftp://bseis.eis.cs.tu-bs.de/pub/hannken/isadma-patch)
 ii) upgrade to a PCI SCSI controller (cheap ones are available, e.g. NCR)
 iii) change to FreeBSD
 iv) take 16mb out of your machine

Nick.

---