Subject: Re: Summer-time
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Jon Ribbens <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/1997 12:44:52
Thanks for your exceedingly prompt response ;-).

Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se> wrote:
> > Britain switches to summer time this Sunday. What do I have to do
> > to NetBSD to get it to cope with this? (I'd rather not just tell
> > it that UTC has moved if I can avoid it ;-) ).

> Nothing, NetBSD knows all about DST and switches automagically.
> I.e. the real time clock remains unchanged, but the value returned
> by localtime() is suitably changed.

Super. I've been looking at the /usr/src/share/zoneinfo/datfiles/europe
file, it's most, err, comprehensive ;-).

> I can't swear on it, but I think NetBSD 1.1 has accurate DST
> information for GB, otherwise you may want to copy your
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB over to them.

I've checked and the GB file is byte-for-byte identical on 1.1 and
1.2 (in case anybody else needs to know).

While I'm here, suppose I set a job to be run at 1:30am on Sunday
(using 'cron' or 'at'). At 1am the time will change to 2am. Does my
job get run? ;-)

Cheers

Jon
____