Subject: Re: Summer-time
To: None <jon@oaktree.co.uk>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/1997 12:42:21
> Britain switches to summer time this Sunday. What do I have to do
> to NetBSD to get it to cope with this? (I'd rather not just tell
> it that UTC has moved if I can avoid it ;-) ).
Nothing, NetBSD knows all about DST and switches automagically.
I.e. the real time clock remains unchanged, but the value returned
by localtime() is suitably changed.

> I am running xntpd on a NetBSD 1.2 machine, and other machines
> (running NetBSD 1.1) are synced to that using timed. I don't
> suppose it'll cope with it automatically? My /etc/localtime is
> a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB.
I can't swear on it, but I think NetBSD 1.1 has accurate DST
information for GB, otherwise you may want to copy your
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GB over to them.  But whatever time they show it
will not affect xntp syncing because, as I said, DST changes does
not affect the RTC, and it's those that are synced.

(Unlike that completely braindead scheme that Windoze uses.  If you
crossed from Europe to the US on a Concorde, changed timezone, edited
files, and used make on a Windoze laptop you would not get the right
files recompiled.  The same problems occurs if you work around DST
switch time.)

        -- Lennart