Subject: Problem with an Exabyte EXB-8200
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Len Burns <lburns@sasquatch.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/27/1997 08:14:39
I am hoping somebody has some thoughts about this, because I am
stumped.  I am attempting to use an Exabyte EXB-8200 with NetBSD i386.
I have tried it using NetBSD-1.1 and NetBSD-1.2.  Both are 66 mhz 486s
with an Adaptec 1742 controller.  The drive is correctly identified at
boot time, and appears to be working.  WE believe it is working
because one of the machines also runs Linux, and under Linux it
behaves normally.  Under NetBSD, if I attempt a dump, we see the
lights flicker on the tape drive as we do under Linux for a few
seconds.  Then the light comes on and remains on.  Not long after, we
begin seeing messages in the log indicating that both our disk drives
are timing out, and it appears that the SCSI bus is no longer
functioning.  Unfortunately, since it cannot write to disk at this
point, we have no log entries.  Any ideas for sorting this out would
be greatly appreciated.  TIA

-Len
lburns@sasquatch.com