Subject: Re: Backup: 'tar' or 'dump'?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@connect.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/1997 13:31:55
Ken Hornstein writes:
> - Even though GNU tar can do multi-volume tars now, I think dump (after
>   you figure out how to do the nutty calculations correctly, which
>   we _should_ fix one of these days) does multi-volume backups better,
>   since you can easily figure out which tape a file lives on (that's
>   assuming you wrote down the inode ranges when you made your backup :-) ).

A *simple* method of setting the tape size is the 'B' flag (size of
media in kilobytes)

For example, when I backup onto my Exabyte 8200 (approx 2.3G capacity),
I use:
	dump -0 -b 32 -B 2300000 -f /tapedevice /filesystem

(Actually, I set $TAPE and just use "dump 0bB 32 2300000 /filesystem",
 but I'm using an example that is in the "documented" style of options :)