Subject: YP blank line question
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/15/1997 01:31:42
  I've got a question about YP stuff.  Our YP /etc/group file
ends with a blank line.  On the NetBSD-i386 machines, this appears to
cause the entire YP group file to be ignored (I believe the yp DB
format alphabetizes the entries, so the blank line ends up being
first, perhaps causing some part of getgrent to think it has
reached EOF).

  I created a 'mirror' yp server on a NetBSD machine on which I have
root access, with all files identical, except that the 'group'
source file did not have that blank line, and NetBSD YP clients
of _this_ machine properly included all yp groups.  This seems
to indicate that the blank line is the problem.

  My question:  is this a bug in NetBSD's YP parsing or getgrent
parsing?  I tried UTSL, but got pretty confused pretty quick!  If
not, is it a bug in the YP file, i.e., blank lines are a no-no?

  Since I don't really have control over the YP server, I'd like
a little more input before I go to the appropriate sysadmin and
say "Hey, remove that blank line from /etc/group and rebuild the
YP databases, will ya?"  :)

  By the way, is there a good FAQ out there for how to set up a
YP/NIS domain for those of us with little experience?  I
didn't see anything relevant in /usr/share/doc.  I managed to set
up the YP mirror by trial and error, but when I tried to
duplicate the feat on my home machine (which doesn't have a
permanent IP address, if that matters), I ran into brick walls.

  Another question:  after I make a change to /etc/group, how do
I make that change show up?  I've tried logging in again, and
that didn't do the trick.  Neither did a vipw.  I figured out how
to do it once, but forgot to write it down...  :(

  Thanks in advance, as always!

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering