Subject: Re: Various 1.2 questions...
To: Brad Colbert <bcolbert@coralsea.ait.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/13/1997 15:52:02
Hi Brad,

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Brad Colbert wrote:

>    Hi folks.  I just installed 1.2 (I purchased a new hardrive and felt it
>    was time).  I've been hearing alot about the pcvt console stuff.  What is
>    this?  Is this like the Linux virtual consoles (key sequences gives you
>    multipile consoles?).

Yep.  In your kernel config file, just uncomment vt0 and comment pc0.  All
of the files/README are in /sys/arch/i386/isa/pcvt/.  I use it solely for
the virtual console support, but there are other advantages as well.

>    Last, this may not be the place to ask this but what the heck...  Is there
>    an XServer for any of the new 3D video boards.  My days are spent
> programming
>    on an SG and I would like to be able to do some OpenGL programming on my
>    PC.   I have taken a look at the Mesa libraries, and they mention a little
>    about these new boards.  There is a group working on an LKM for linux, I
>    was hoping that there was some similar work under NetBSD.  I would not
>    like to have to switch to Linux.

I'm not sure about OpenGL support, but I know XFree now supports the ATI
3D Rage chipset.  Thats a start at least...

Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/