Subject: Re: How to improve my network performance?
To: Chuck Cranor <chuck@dworkin.wustl.edu>
From: Piet Tutelaers <P.T.H.Tutelaers@urc.tue.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/08/1997 11:23:23

> >Since I have installed NetBSD1.2 my network is performing badly.  I
> >especialy suffer when I am starting up X (takes about 30 seconds on my
> >Decpc (450dx2) with 16MB internal memory), or when I use `rcp' to a
> >local machine (40 secs for a simple file).
> >
> >I would appreciate some help in tracing/solving my problem. I used
> >traceroute and netstat but they don't give me any clue.
>
> "rcp" could be slow due to [a] poor nameservice, or [b] poor network
> throughput.   are you using the nameserver for lookup?  (e.g.
> /etc/resolv.conf).   if so try turning that off and see if it makes
> a difference.    or try transfering a large file via FTP to see
> what sort of throughput you get.
>
> Basically, you need to isolate the problem more.
>
> chuck

It was [a]. A wrong nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf.
Thanks everybody for helping me!

--Piet

PS: Edsgar Dijkstra as guest speaker on a symposium about the `Software
crisis' told, asked about what he found about UNIX: ``On the regimen of
three drops per day one is promised the eternal life''. It is clear
that I need more drops regarding networking .... I would like to know
what computer, if any, Edsgar is using these days.