Subject: ccd config'd but won't let me use it
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Brandle <Stefan.Brandle@wheaton.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/06/1997 00:13:41
Somebody suggested I check out ccd as one answer to doing RAID on NetBSD (poor
man's option :-).

I read ccd(4) and ccdconfig(8), set up /etc/ccd.conf with the line

	ccd0            16     none      /dev/sd0g /dev/sd1g

and ran

	gideon# ccdconfig -C -v
	ccd0: 2 components (sd0g, sd1g), 3442560 blocks interleaved at 16 blocks
	gideon# newfs /dev/ccd0g
	newfs: /dev/ccd0g: Device not configured

I checked out the bugs list, but didn't see anything relevant (man page patch).

I also tried reading the *BSD FAQ, but the only references there didn't seem
to give me much. I put in the CCDDEBUG flag, set ccdflags = 0x03, recompiled
the kernel, and got same results with rather nonimformative messages.

What device name am I supposed to use for a device name in order to actually
use it, or what am I doing incorrectly.

Alternatively, where can I find more extensive documentation? The manual page
explains how to run ccdconfig, but stops short of showing how to use it.

As a correlary question, is there something that contains documentation on
programs like this? We have the CSRG BSD 4.4 books, but though useful, they
tend to not talk about a bunch of things. Is there some other canonical source
of info for would be NetBSD sysadms?

Thanks,
--sb
Stefan Brandle  |  (630) 752-5201  |  stefan@wheaton.edu  |  Wheaton College IL