Subject: Re: 2nd Hard Disk
To: Leone Marco <mleone@neomedia.it>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/1997 22:30:12
Leone,
I don't know of anywhere that has that information, but here's the basic
idea (I think):

-Install the new drive using normal SCSI settings:
	new SCSI id
	termination on the last device in the chain
	misc. settings match between the drives

-Make sure all of the devices are in place (/dev/rsd1* /dev/sd1*) - use
MAKEDEV if they aren't there.

-Create an entry in /etc/disktab with the geometry of your drive and the
partition layout you want.  Use another entry as an example.

-Double check the values - a math error here will haunt you forever.
There are certain things that should add up (normally sectors in pa+pb+pe
= pd...).  If you don't understand hard disk geometry, you'll want to find
more info somewhere ("Upgrading and Repairing PC's" or somewhere on the
net maybe)

-Setup the partition entry (for dos compatability) with fdisk.  Basically
just make the first partition all netbsd (sysid 165).  I think disklabel
uses this to determine where to put the disklabel, but it might not be
necesary.

-Write the disklabel:    disklabel -w -r sd1 <disktype>
disktype is the name you created in disktab.  If you plan to boot from
the disk, you'll need the -B parameter.  Check out the disklabel manpage.

-Create your file systems using newfs.  "newfs /dev/sd0a" should be good
enough.  Do it for each partition that you have set to a BSD type (not
necesary for swap partitions).

Now you should be able to mount those partitions (mount /dev/sd0a
/newdir).  You'll probably want to add an entry to /etc/fstab so that they
get mounted on boot.

Hope this helps.  Be carefull you allways type in sd1 instead of sd0, you
don't want to overwrite your old disklabel (or worse - on the newfs).

	Rick

 On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Leone Marco wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a NetBSD 1.2 i386 system with a Adaptec 2940 scsi controller and
> a SEAGATE ST51080N hard disk.
> I need to install a second scsi hard disk.
>
> What have i to do?
> Could anybody redirect me to a place where I'll found every kind
> of info in installing a secondary hard disk from zero.
>
> TIA in advance.
>
> --
>

> -------------------------------
> Marco Leone mleone@neomedia.it
> Neomedia System Manager
> http://www.neomedia.it/
> Phone +39.91.348340
> Fax   +39.91.348746
> Palermo, Italy

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/