Subject: Re: (off-topic) How to hinder mail-ads ?
To: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/1997 07:32:12
Operating System: NetBSD 1.2 alpha

Andrew Wheadon wrote

> Hi,
> 	I know it's off-topic but I'm sure many people are interested
> and a few are capable of providing an answer. People at my site
> including myself keep receiving junk-advertising.
> 	i.e. hey if you haven't seen www.bullshit.com then look at it.
> 	 or  buy our new ultra-healthy beauty cream.
> The mail always has a fake 'From:' and 'From' header. But the
> Received-headers show that the mail never came from that machine.
>
> How can I force 'sendmail' to bounce/disconnect/fail in some way
> that the remote machine gets an error, or at least make it send
> the mail to /dev/null ?
>
> Usually the hostname in 'From' doesn't exist either.

I am using a utility called "filter" which comes with elm. It allows
you to do some good filtering before the mail is passed into your
mailbox/folders.

The construct of the filters are easy see sample below:

if (sender = netbsd-help-owner@NetBSD.ORG) then
        save ~/Mail/netbsd-help

if (sender = port-alpha-owner@NetBSD.ORG) then
        save ~/Mail/netbsd-port-alpha
[...]

Once you've figured out what makes this advertising unique its easy to
filter it out the unwanted mail and act upon accordingly.

Hope this helps...

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf