Subject: Re: Newbie/ZIP/mkfs--again...
To: None <earache@loop.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/1997 13:53:28
> I have read the FAQs, and I understand I need to specify the geometry-- the
> question is, *HOW?*  I cannot get a dialog box to appear *at all* with the
> Zip--it hangs just before the dialog is supposed to show up.  When I tried
> using HDToolkit, it tells me that this device does not allow me to change
> or to specify the geometry (or a whole lot of other page parameters by
> which, apparently, most drives are configurable).....Is it possible that
> Iomega has different types of controllers in its drives?  A problem with
> mkfs (version 1.3)?  Do I need to buy a different DiskTool program?  I read
> mention of mkfs version 1.4 somewhere, but could not locate
> it....Arghhhh...

Hmmm...it's not _supposed_ to hang ;-)  I would try the newer version
(i.e. 1.4) which should be on ftp.netbsd.org.  If it is not located
there, I'd try looking on ftp.macbsd.com.  It should definitely be in 1
of those 2 places.  Hopefully, this version won't hang and will allow you
set the geometry.

I hope this helps.

Later.