Subject: Newbie/ZIP/mkfs--again...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <earache@loop.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/1997 00:48:44
Thanks to all who responded (and fast!).....  I'm making some progress (can
boot into MacOS), but still having problems on the Zip front...Apple HD SC
Setup (7.3.5 patched) and FWB's HDToolKit seem to partition OK, but this is
what happens using mkfs......

(Select SCSI ID 5, "OK")
console text:

modesense of Current parameters, page 4(5)
get_DeviceInfo: Error on SCSIRead(), # 5, retry 0
Probably just a phase error, ignore the error -- this time.
Num Heads 0
Num Cylinders = 0
modesense of Current parameters, page 3(5)
get_DeviceInfo: Error on SCSIRead(), # 5, retry 0
Probably just a phase error, ignore the error -- this time.
Bytes_Sector is 0
Sectors Track is 0
Wild Ass Guess at sect/track
Partition read, SCSIID = 5

(bringing up)dialog box:

UNIX_SVR2->NetBSD Root & Usr
UNIX_SVR2->NetBSD Swap

Select "UNIX_SVR2->NetBSD Root & Usr"
Hit "Format"
console text:

 no default #tracks
mkfs:

Cursor blinks......end of story

I then partitioned my hard disk using exactly the same method, and it
worked fine the first time (brought up all the disk info, etc).  The FAQs
treat Zips like any other hard drive, but that does not seem to be my
experience. Do I need to disklabel the drive? I am going nuts on
this....Any thoughts?.

Thanks......

earache

PS--Once I can boot off the Zip, I'll quit whining--I need my HD space....:-)