Subject: Re: Upgrading to -current
To: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@vortex.del.ufrj.br>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@juno.uts.amdahl.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/23/1996 05:09:29
> Is there any special order in which I must build -current source tree?
>
> I tried to upgrade my machine at home by building a new kernel first
> but all I got were panics at boot-time because of no recognition of
> my 1.2 /sbin/init.  I then built a 1.2B init but got the same problem.

What I did to go from 1.2 to -current (Dec 14th sources) was to

1. configure a new kernel config file based on the samples
(specifically, you'll probably need EXEC_ELF32 on the i386 port, if
you're doing Linux emulation).

cd /sys/arch/<arch>/conf
config YOURKERNEL
(cd ../compile/YOURKERNEL; make depend ; make)

Reboot, using this kernel, and the 1.2 binaries.

2. (cd /usr/src; make obj) #You may not want to do this

3. (cd /usr/src/etc ; make DESTDIR=/ distrib-dirs)

4. (cd /usr/src; make build)

Alistair