Subject: Compiling a new Kernel
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick1@tribeca.ios.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/31/1996 19:10:32
I'm trying to compile a new kernel.  I created a new filesystem, /usr2,
which contains /usr2/src/sys/... extracted from the sys.tar.gz archive.

I created a new config called p600 in /usr2/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf and
then try to "config p600".  Problem is I get:

        cannot open "arch/mac68k/conf/std.mac68k"

I tried setting PATH=$PATH:/usr2/src/sys and exporting $PATH, but still get
the same error.  I tried modifying my config file, p600, to absolute path
the location of std.mac68k, but it just fails later since there are bunches
of other files that need similar paths also.  This was obviously the wrong
way to go, but what do I need to do to compile my own kernel?  I read the
man page for config and the FAQ and could not find any references to
setting up the local environment.

I am running MacOS 7.5.5 on a Performa 600 (IIvx) with booter 1.9.4 and
MacBSD 1.2.  I have an Asante Ethernet card, 20MB of memory and a
Supermac/Spectrum III video card.  What I'm trying to do is create a kernel
which will boot with the video card in, but just ignore it.  I had
previously been using a custom kernel: netbsd.noae.11.28 from last year
which could ignore the ethernet card, but let me still use both internal
video and the nubus video card (I believe interrupts from the video card
were conflicting with the ethernet card).  The ethernet card works with the
latest version of NetBSD ONLY WHEN IT IS IN SLOT E, but when the video card
is in either of the other two slots it causes the boot process to die
horribly.  I would like to use my nubus video card and not have to pull it
out when I boot up NetBSD.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...