Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD mac68k onto a jaz drive
To: Leonel Silva <leonel@sdm.pt>
From: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick1@tribeca.ios.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/1996 07:07:34
At 13:47 10/28/96, Leonel Silva wrote:
>Dear Sirs,
>
>I am trying to install NetBSD onto an Iomega's Jaz drive but I'm having
>difficulties in configuring the drive with mkfs, it seems not to work
>with the default parameters and I don't know how to configure it. In the

I have an Iomega Jaz drive successfully configured for NetBSD 1.2 on the
Macintosh.  Be aware that during the boot cycle once you get it set up
properly it will eject the cartridge and you will need to immediately push
it back in so filesystems on it can get mounted.

Parameters I used to make it work for mkfs:
sector size     512
block size      512
bytes/sector    512
sectors/track   40
tracks/cylinder 512
cylinders/group 5

I was unable to use all the space on the drive so I minimized wastage when
I created the filesystems.  For some reason once you try to set up the Unix
filesystems there is a bit of unused space at the end of each partition.

Enjoy the drive, it's really quite nice--I also have a small Mac partition
so I can boot with the cartridge if for some reason my main hard drive were
to croak.

Derrick