Subject: Re: Shared Libs and executables: How?
To: None <olaf@digirule.com>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@remote.channel1.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/1996 16:22:17
Hmmm...

According to various folks, especially Mike Long (who is on my list of
people to buy a beverage for if I ever meet them in person), gcc is
supposed to favor shared over static, if shared libraries exist.

It does go on a library by library basis. Maybe if you tell us what
effect your are trying to achieve?

If it is a case of wanting to produce a static binary to send to a
friend or whatever, add the option -static to the gcc command line.

The staticness or sharedness only applies to the final executable,
because it only referes to how it sets itself to resolve library
links.

The subroutine file (*.o) can be position independant code (-fpic or
maybe -fPIC) and still produce static binaries.
--
Hacksaw