Subject: Re: Assorted Problems
To: None <mirage@hpserv.keh.utulsa.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/1996 12:37:06
>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:24:42 -0600 (CST)
>From: Rob Rutherford <mirage@hpserv.keh.utulsa.edu>

>	1)  The user account I've created echoes the ^? to the screen and
>doesn't backspace over the character.  However the system aknowledges the
>changes made to the line.  Seems like a corrupt shell, but the sh works
>fine with root, do I have a problem with the tty settings?

See stty(1).  You probably need to define an erase character;
something like

if (! $?prompt) exit 0
stty erase '^?'

in your .cshrc should do it.  (Obviously, this doesn't apply if your
login shell is not /bin/csh.)

>	2)  The user account doesn't create a .cshrc file when I first
>log on to the system.  A .cshrc was created when I first logged on as root,
>but one was not created when I logged on through my user account.

Creating .cshrc and .login files is part of the process for adding
users.  Templates exist in /usr/share/skel/dot.*; see adduser(8).

>	4) in /etc/passwd there are some extra fields, where would I look
>up information on these.  name:passwd:gid:uid:?:?:User Name:home
>directory:shell
>
>	What are the two ? fields for?

See passwd(5); if it doesn't describe them, start looking at the
source for getpwent() and friends.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>