Subject: Re: console messages in xterm
To: Brian Moats <bmoats@efn.org>
From: Rainer Doemer <rainer@pal-ts1-077.slip.uci.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/25/1996 16:59:39
> I've tried to get console messages in my xterm also. Changing the flags in
> /etc/ttys didn't help. xterm says "Unable to open console" and xconsole
> just opens a window with never any output. I've also tried chmod 666
> /dev/console. No luck. 8-(
> [...]
> What's different here??????

Oops, I'm sorry! I just copied the lines from /etc/ttys twice
and didn't edit the wrong version.
The correctly working version looks like:

console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  vt220   on  secure
ttye0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  vt220   off secure  # custom chips

My original version, which is _not_ working, had the "on" and "off"
flags exchanged, so that a "getty" process was started for ttye0,
but not for the console.

> > Now login changes the ownership of /dev/console as required by
> > "xterm -C" or/and "xconsole". Both work fine now!

That still holds. You may check the ownership of /dev/console with
a command "ls -l /dev/console". In my case this results in:

crw--w----  1 rainer  tty    0,   0 Oct 25 15:59 /dev/console

If the owner of that file is root (and not yourself) xterm/xconsole
will fail.

Hope this clears the problem,

Rainer.