Subject: Re: console messages in xterm
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rainer Doemer <rainer@pal-ts1-077.slip.uci.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/24/1996 22:29:17
Thanks to all who answered!

> I wonder how to make messages visible under X, which are usually
> written to the console. For example talk-requests are "displayed"
> only in the background, when I run a X session.
> At work on my Sun these messages are displayed nicely in one
> xterm, which is called with the -C option. Unfortunately this
> option doesn't work unter NetBSD on my Amiga.   :-(

Finally I found the solution to this problem.
The file "/etc/ttys" was wrong. My file looked like:
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  vt220   on  secure
ttye0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  vt220   off secure  # custom chips

All I had to do was to swap the on and off flags, like:
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  vt220   on  secure
ttye0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  vt220   off secure  # custom chips

Now login changes the ownership of /dev/console as required by
"xterm -C" or/and "xconsole". Both work fine now!

Thanks for your suggestions,

Rainer.

Rainer Doemer
Information and Computer Science         email: doemer@ics.uci.edu