Subject: console messages in xterm
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rainer Doemer <rainer@pal-ts1-077.slip.uci.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/23/1996 21:47:53
Hi guys,

I wonder how to make messages visible under X, which are usually
written to the console. For example talk-requests are "displayed"
only in the background, when I run a X session.
At work on my Sun these messages are displayed nicely in one
xterm, which is called with the -C option. Unfortunately this
option doesn't work unter NetBSD on my Amiga.   :-(

The man-page to xterm mentions, that this in not supported
by all systems. Is NetBSD one of these poor systems?
If not, how do I make the current user owner of /dev/console
and give him read and write permission, as described by the
manual page? Of course, this should be done automatically
(eg. by xinit) and without security problems!

BTW, I am using NetBSD1.1 (I'll upgrade next week to 1.2)
on an Amiga 3000.

Any help appreciated,

Rainer.

Rainer Doemer