Subject: Undefined symbol while profiling
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Biju Kaimal <BKAIMAL.IN.ORACLE.COM.ofcmail@in.oracle.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/1996 15:52:10
Hi all,

I am getting an undefined symbol, when I am profiling a program. This happens
when I am using the -pg option of gcc to include the profile information in
the executable.

The problem occurs only for the 'dlopen, dlcose' set of functions.

---
/* test.c */

main()
{
	dlopen("/usr/lib/libc.a", 0);
}

% cc -pg test.o -o test

gives output as : ld: _dlopen : undefined symbol

while,

% cc test.o -o test

compiles successfully.

On Sun boxes, there is a libdl.so, so compiling with that included in the path
avoids the problem ie % cc -pg test.o -o test -ldl , works .

But, there is no libdl.so in NetBSD, what would be the equivalent for NetBSD,
or is there any solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Biju

Biju Kaimal				Email: bkaimal@in.oracle.com
Sun OS Group                            Voice: +91 (80) 2256198/199/203/204
                                        Ext - 425
Oracle India Dev. Center                Mail : Embassy Point, 3rd floor
					       150,Infantry Rd,Bangalore
					       India - 560001
                                        Fax  : +91 (80) 2256207