Subject: Re: EMER!! need file called '['
To: None <hacksaw@user1.channel1.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/1996 17:12:24
According to Hacksaw:

>On my machine they have different inodes.

On mine they are hard linked:

[blymn@siren] ls -lasi /bin/[ /bin/test
1506 64 -r-xr-xr-x  2 bin  bin  32768 Aug 24 12:40 /bin/[
1506 64 -r-xr-xr-x  2 bin  bin  32768 Aug 24 12:40 /bin/test

> Anyone know if it would be
>better to make a link instead of a full copy? It's no big deal, since
>it all of 40k, but why waste it of you don't have to?

As you say, no big deal but I think the reason it is linked is that if
you update test then [ will automatically updated as well.  Well, this
will work if you do not change the inode number, so copying directly
over the top of one should update both (if my reading of the source is
correct) but removing, say test, and then copying will break the link
and result in to different binaries for test and [.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.