Subject: Upgrading Sun SPARC SCSI drivers
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rolf Schreiber <rolf@millennianet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/1996 11:01:48
Greetings NetBSDers,

I set up a NetBSD 1.1 system on a Sun 2/260 for a school in South America,
which is used as the primary mail and DNS server. Overall, everyone is
very pleased with the machine except for the performance of the polled DMA
SCSI drivers (for the "si" NCR 5380-based VME SCSI interface).

The NetBSD 1.2 release promises greatly improved SCSI performance on the
this interface since interrupt-driven DMA is now supported. However, I'm
a bit reluctant to do a complete upgrade to 1.2 from 5000 miles away since
the machine is rather mission-critical these days.

What I'd like to do is simply upgrade the SCSI drivers in the kernel
source area from 1.1 to 1.2 and generate a new kernel. Any thoughts
as to what files will need to be replaced? The obvious things are the
various files in the /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/dev that relate to the
"si" driver, but are there other dependencies that should be addressed?

Any advice from folks that've been down this path would be greatly
appreciated!

--
Rolf Schreiber
San Diego, CA