Subject: problems while setting up a virtual host
To: NetBSD-Help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dante Profeta <profeta@neomedia.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/01/1996 10:00:36
Hi,

I have to set up a virtual host.
For this pourpouse I need to make an IP alias, so I issued this command
to ifconfig:

# ifconfig ep0 inet my.virtual.host alias

(assuming that my.virtual.host is translated by a DNS entry
[195.X.X.217], that DNS starts a long before the ifconfig and that DNS
works!)
Well, now, if I do a ping or telnet from another machine to the host
machine, everithing is pretty good.
But if I do the same operation on the host machine (ping or telnet or
else), the system is unable to connect, and traceroute says:

    sendto: Host is down

# ifconfig -a
gives me the following informations:

ep0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        inet 195.X.X.198 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast 195.X.X.223
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST>
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

but nothing about my virtual host (195.X.X.217)

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance.
--
__  ____