Subject: Re: NCR SCSI
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/25/1996 14:27:04
In article <199609250910.CAA25795@saul5.u.washington.edu>,
Zach Fine  <czyz@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Brett Lymn (blymn@awadi.com.au) said:
>
> >I know a name to avoid:  SC200
> >I had one of these suckers and it just would not work in my Pentium
> >motherboard - not even in DOS.
> ... rest deleted

Perhaps Brett just had a bad board? There are plenty of people out there
with SC200s, and this is the first I've heard of any problems like that.
One board is a pretty small sample size on which to condemn a product.

> I'm almost positive that the SC200 will only work with specific ASUS
> brand motherboards.  These particular motherboards have some of the
> SCSI hardware built in and are designed to enable the use of the
> SC200.

No, the ASUS MB's have the SCSI BIOS in their BIOS, which you'll need to
boot.  NCR 8x0 chips don't have a provision for a BIOS on the card.  If
you want the bios on the card, you'll need a 8x5 board (like the 815).  This
applies to any NCR810 board, not just the SC200.  Other motherboard
besides the ASUS have the bios, including some older Intel boards.  You
can even add the SCSI BIOS to some systems that don't have it.  I've
seen a DOS debug script that merges the NCR BIOS into the flash BIOS
images for newer Intel boards.  Flash the new image, and there you are.

Even without a BIOS on the card or the motherboard, you can still use
the board under NetBSD AFAIK, you just won't be able to boot from it.
You can even use the SC200 in an Alpha with NetBSD/alpha.