Subject: RE: NetBSD and FreeBSD
To: Webmaster Jim <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
From: None <alias@NetBSD.ORG>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/1996 07:42:04
Webmaster Jim <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us> says:
:On Sep 22,  8:53pm, Jerry Alexandratos wrote:
:} Okay, here's a relatively convoluted question, so please bear with me?
:} First, does NetBSD v1.1 support Win95 long filenames?
:
:Run mtools-3.0.  Look at ftp://ftp.imag.fr/pub/Linux/ZLIBC/mtools/patches.
:I'm now writing long-filename floppies on *BSD and dealing with the M-world
:that way...

While this is an excellent idea, it won't help me.  I need to be able to
write to the Win95 partition from a zip file.  So, basically, I need to
mount the Win95 partition, and run "unzip -r zipfile" on it.

:} If so, is there anyway to compile a kernel for NetBSD-386 v1.1 on a
:} machine running FreeBSD v2.1.5?
:
:Sure, if you have two different disk drives, like me :-) .  Boot into
:FreeBSD, build FreeBSD code, reboot into NetBSD and run the emulation
:code.

So I take it that NetBSD can run FreeBSD binaries, but FreeBSD can't run
the NetBSD binaries.

:} As you can all see, I've heard lots, but I don't know anything for
:} certain.  Any and all pointers will be greatly appreciated.
:
:I have stopped using FreeBSD at home since the NetBSD 1.2-beta has recognized
:my 2842 controller, but I can access the old FB partitions and run code
:there as well as on the 2.0.5 cd.  The man page was missing from the last
:beta I grabbed (a couple weeks ago), but the compat_linux page gave me
:enough clues.  Drop me a note for more nitty-gritty.

Do you recommend NetBSD over FreeBSD.  If so, why?

Thanks for the pointers.

       --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8