Subject: Re: NetBSD and FreeBSD
To: Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@louie.udel.edu>
From: Webmaster Jim <jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/1996 23:37:54
On Sep 22,  8:53pm, Jerry Alexandratos wrote:
} Okay, here's a relatively convoluted question, so please bear with me?
} First, does NetBSD v1.1 support Win95 long filenames?

Run mtools-3.0.  Look at ftp://ftp.imag.fr/pub/Linux/ZLIBC/mtools/patches.
I'm now writing long-filename floppies on *BSD and dealing with the M-world
that way...

} If so, is there anyway to compile a kernel for NetBSD-386 v1.1 on a
} machine running FreeBSD v2.1.5?

Sure, if you have two different disk drives, like me :-) .  Boot into
FreeBSD, build FreeBSD code, reboot into NetBSD and run the emulation
code.

} As you can all see, I've heard lots, but I don't know anything for
} certain.  Any and all pointers will be greatly appreciated.

I have stopped using FreeBSD at home since the NetBSD 1.2-beta has recognized
my 2842 controller, but I can access the old FB partitions and run code
there as well as on the 2.0.5 cd.  The man page was missing from the last
beta I grabbed (a couple weeks ago), but the compat_linux page gave me
enough clues.  Drop me a note for more nitty-gritty.
--
I don't speak (or work) for the Baltimore County Public Library.
They keep telling me, "Shhhhh!"