Subject: Re: Controlling Source IP address
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/10/1996 22:44:40
David Maxwell <david@vex.net> writes:

> Could someone tell me if there is a way - on a NetBSD system - programming
> at the
> application level - to send packets out an ethernet interface and which of the
> interface's aliased IP addresses to use as the source for the packets?

That's not quite specific enough, but here are a few ways:

* Just bind a socket with the appropriate IP address and use it
normally.

* Use the `raw IP' interface (SOCK_RAW) with the `IP_HDRINCL' option
and build the IP headers yourself, with whatever address you want.

* Use BPF to send raw Ethernet packets.

The latter two options require the program to run as root.

> Also, are there any 100BT ethernet cards supported in 1.1 and 1.2? (Any
> NetBSD port)

I think both the SMC series (based on the DEC chips) and the 3COM
3c59X series sport 100BT versions.