Subject: Modem problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/06/1996 14:41:31
	I've already tried a number of things to fix the following problem.
I'll list them after explaining what the problem is.

	I just got an external 28.8 modem, and I'm trying to talk to it from
a NetBSD-1.1 Intel box.  I have the modem connected to /dev/tty00, and
I hace the line for com0 in /etc/remote.  When I 'tip com0' and try sending
ATZ, I get nothing echoed to the screen.  I have had an internal modem in
this machine, and it's been working just fine for over a year.  The following
paragraphs address, in order, permissions in /dev, the /etc/remote entry,
the /etc/ttys entry, the PC hardware, and trying the modem on different
machines.

	The ownership of /dev/tty00 is uucp.wheel.  The permissions are 666.

	The line I have in /etc/remote looks like:

com0:dv=/dev/tty00:br#38400:

I've tried specifying cu=/dev/tty00.  When I do this, I can't return from
tip, i.e., '~.' won't get the shell prompt back.

	I have tried both 'local rtscts' and 'local softcar' in /etc/ttys,
with no success with either.  I have remembered to 'ttyflags -a'.  There is
a difference between the two settings -- with rtscts, no extra lights come
on.  With 'softcar', the TR (terminal ready?) light will come on.

	I have verified that it's not a hardware problem.  The modem works
on other (non-PC) machines (see below).  I have switched the DB-9 and DB-25
connections between serial ports -- my mouse works fine on both /dev/tty00
and /dev/tty01.  I have even tested the motherboard-to-DB-25 connection by
using the one from my other PC.

	I have tried the modem on another machine, a Sparc 5 running both
SunOS and NetBSD.  I had no problems with either of these setups.

	If anyone has any ideas about what the problem might be, please
speak up.

Chad Mynhier <mynhier@cs.utk.edu>
Journeyman Wizard, CS Department
University of Tennessee, Knoxville