Subject: Re: Serial port connection without CD being high.
To: None <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/1996 16:42:24
>From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
>Date: Wed, 04 Sep 96 15:17:00 PDT

>How do connect to a serial port on which the modem's CD is low.
>
>if I set the /etc/ttys table for off softcar, I can connect.  However if
>I set the port to off secure, I am denied access.

The 'softcar' and 'secure' flags do totally different things.
'secure' enables root logins, while 'softcar' changes the behavior of
the serial driver.  Different parts of the system use the various
/etc/ttys flags:

/sbin/init: on, off
/usr/libexec/getty: secure
/usr/sbin/ttyflags: local, softcar, rtscts, ?

In order to do what you want, you need to set the tty flags to 'off
local', then run ttyflags(8).

>I've compared the termios structure before and after, they are identical,
>so there must be some other way to set this mode of operation.

Yes, each tty driver (com, zs, &c.) stores this information separately
from its termios state.  That's because the termios state is (usually)
reset when the tty is first opened, while the ttyflags(8) defaults are
not.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>