Subject: Re: pstat incorrect in system w/48Mb RAM (i386)
To: Jan Morales <morales@cs.UMD.EDU>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/28/1996 00:06:26
At 04:20 PM 8/27/96 -0400, Jan Morales wrote:
>I just upgraded my PC from 16Mb of RAM to 48Mb.  Now "pstat -s" always
>reports the following:
>
>    Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
>    /dev/sd0b       98752        4    98748     0%    Interleaved
>
>even when I am doing things that used to bring swap usage into the
>20Mb neighborhood before the upgrade.  Apart from that, the system
>seems to be running great, including a noticeable effect from the new
>memory.  Is this a problem with pstat or the kernel or something else?

NetBSD doesn't allocate swap until AFTER it runs out of memory, so
what you are seeing is correct.

If before you had 16MB of RAM, and used 20MB of swap, that's 36mb used
total. You have 48mb of RAM, so you still have a Bunch (capital B) of
memory left to work with before swapping.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu