Subject: Re: compiling 1.1 kernel for ppp only
To: None <robert@cs.stanford.edu>
From: Robert Kennedy <robert@bigbird.mtview.ca.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/24/1996 11:33:53
> > I tried to compile a kernel under 1.1 to include PPP functions.  I
> > commented out all the ethernet cards since I don't have one on my home
> > system.  The make complained about missing modules (ether_output,
> > ether_[add|del]multi, arpt_[keep|prune]), so after some thrashing I
> > added back a define for "ed0".  The make then built a valid kernel.
> This looks like you didn't run "make depend" at the right time(s). Any
> time you change your config file (or anything the config file
> controls), it's a good idea to run "make depend" unless you absolutely
> know what you're doing.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I remember that it took a
"make clean" to get a good build of a kernel at one point. I'm not
sure what I was trying to do at that time, but it could have been when
I was in your situation. Try "make clean; make depend; make" after you
run config.

Of course if this is what it takes, that's a bug in the build
process.

	-- Robert Kennedy