Subject: More info: NetBSD 1.1 and sendmail, why is it so slow
To: 'netbsd-help' <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/23/1996 13:34:00
Our network is split by a Firewall.  The machine in question (beta) is
outside of the Firewall.

I connected to several other machines, outside of out Firewall, and
telneted back to beta and got connected instantly.

So,  all machines behind the Firewall connecting to beta, are having to
wait 20 - 30 seconds for a connection.

All machines outside the Firewall connecting to beta, are getting
connected instantly.

When I watch beta's processes via ps -maux, I see that sendmail is
hanging in startup mode for 20-30 sec. before going into server mode,
accounting for the delay, with machines inside the Firewall.  Machines
outside the Firewall put sendmail immediately into server mode.

So does sendmail, some how, try to verify the connection to the DNS
lookup?

BTW, I've already checked DNS problems, nslookup is okay.

jam