Subject: NetBSD 1.1 and sendmail, why is it so slow.
To: 'netbsd-help' <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/23/1996 11:10:00
I have three NetBSD 1.1 i386 machines.  When I connect to two of the
machines, I can almost instantly send my mail.  However, on beta, it
takes 20 to 30 seconds to get a response.

I.e.  I Telnet to beta, on port 25, from another (any) machine, I wait 20
to 30 seconds before I get the welcome message.  However, if I Telnet on
beta to beta on port 25, the response is instant.

I and running a news server on this machine also, but just 5000 groups.
 Killing news and other processes doesn't seem to help, what do you think
is up?

I have a Pentium 90 with 64Megs of memory, and everything else seems
snappy.  I can POP, FTP, Telnet, etc. in and get immediate server, so I'm
sure it's not the machine being overloaded.

any ideas?

jam