Subject: Re: mb_map errors continue...
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/1996 10:46:44

> > I upped to 2048 in my last kernel compile:
> >
> > options         NMBCLUSTERS=2048
> >

> > But I just got this the other day:
> >
> > Aug 18 12:31:50 biteme /netbsd: mb_map full
>
> This is _NOT_ an error to be seeing this message.
>
> That message is an indication that your system is underconfigured.
> The "error" associated with that message was that, in some
> circumstances, that message wouldn't just be printed, it'd cause
> a _panic_.  That behavior was bad.
>

> > Should I continue to increase the NMBCLUSTERS value?  Is this the only
> > solution to the problem?
>
> How often are you seeing that message?  If you're seeing it often,
> then yes, you probably should up NMBCLUSTERS.  If you're seeing it
> relatively infrequently, then you probably don't need to.
>
> cgd

Ok, I wasn't seeing any kernel panics or anything nasty with this logged
message, but I was a bit concerned.  I'm not seeing it that often.  this
is the first time in a couple months, but I didn't expect it after upping
to 2048.  By "underconfigured" do you mean I should allocate more buffer
space?

--
Matthew B. Wood                                              mbwood@netcom.com

Homer: "If something is hard, it's not worth learning.  Now, let's go
         watch TV."
Bart: "What's on, Dad?"
Homer: "It doesn't matter...."