Subject: rarpd and tftpd troubles
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Trebisky <tom@aspc15.as.arizona.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/16/1996 19:14:23
Hello all,

I am trying to get my NetBSD 1.1 system (running on a 486), set up as
a server to boot the Xkernel for a sun 3/50, which I then want to use
as an X terminal to access my NetBSD system.  I have gone thru the
hoopla in diskless(8) and encountered the following:

rarpd is failing with a BIOCSETIF, device not configured message.

running rarpd -fd ed0 gets it to work fine and answer the REVARP
request, but a little more info on why rarpd fails.  Adding debug
to rarpd shows that it sets up the bpf on 3 devices:

ed0, ed0, and eon0.

Why it decides to hit ed0 twice, and WHAT in the world is eon0
(This is the "device" for which I get the "device not configured"
message).  ifconfig -a shows:

ed0, lo0, sl0, sl1, ppp0, ppp1, tun0, tun1, eon0

What in the world is eon0 (and tun0 and tun1 for that matter?).
I don't find it in /etc/ anywhere using grep (I sure haven't
done an ifconfig on it), the exact line from ifconfig is:

eon0	3<UP,BROADCAST>

I uncommented the tftp line in /etc/inetd.conf (and have rebooted as
well after generating the /etc/ethers file), and I placed the files in
/tftpboot/80C4B0xx, but the tftp request just retries and retries.
any ideas about that??

All help and assistance will be gratefully accepted!

	Tom
--
	Tom Trebisky			Steward Observatory
	ttrebisky@as.arizona.edu	University of Arizona