Subject: Re: Starting daemons in rc as non-root
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca>
From: Melody Lynn Yoon <melody@voicenet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/14/1996 13:26:34
On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Michael Richardson wrote:

> > What we do here is chmod ircd to 4755 and change the ownership to ircadmin. :)
>
>   Given the buffer overflow problems that have crept up in ircd, this is
> tantamount to giving people your root password. Does ircd know how to give up
> its root priveledges in the saved uid?

Ahhh! But you see, we're not changing the UID of ircd to root, but to
ircadmin.. so even if they flood ircd, they can only affect the ircadmin
account (which is routinely backed up anyway) :)

Melody

Melody Lynn Yoon        Systems Administration          melody@voicenet.com
"Our children know everything... We have cable." -- Charles in Charge
Member of Team Internet Paintball -- I just forget my ID #
PGP Key: finger -l melody@voicenet.com