Subject: Re: Starting daemons in rc as non-root
To: Matthew B. Wood <devtrix@netcom.com>
From: Melody Lynn Yoon <melody@voicenet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/12/1996 10:34:20
On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Matthew B. Wood wrote:

> > for instance i start ircd like this:
> >
> > if [ -f /usr/local/lib/ircd/ircd ]; then
> > 	su irc -c /usr/local/lib/ircd/ircd; echo -n ' ircd'
> > fi
> >
> > (hopefully an acceptable way to do it)
>
> I do the same thing; it didn't seem to like it when I made user 'irc' have
> a non-existant shell in /etc/passwd (I used /dev/null).  As an alternative
> to giving the user 'irc' a fully-working shell, I pointed its /etc/passwd
> shell entry to /usr/etc/smrsh (the Sendmail restricted shell--see sendmail
> package).  I then list a symlink to "ircd" in the smrsh bin directory.

(Above kept instead of cut for information purposes to those that have
not followed the topic).

What we do here is chmod ircd to 4755 and change the ownership to ircadmin. :)

Melody

Melody Lynn Yoon        Systems Administration          melody@voicenet.com
"Our children know everything... We have cable." -- Charles in Charge
Member of Team Internet Paintball -- I just forget my ID #
PGP Key: finger -l melody@voicenet.com