Subject: Tyan Tomcat, Adaptec2940 troubles
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Al Urbaitis <aurbaiti@servecom.picker.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/07/1996 10:47:28
Hello All
I am trying to get my first "Pentium" box lit.
I have encountered a bit of trouble getting started.
Hardware
Tyan 1562s motherboard
(PCI)
Award Bios
Adaptec 2940 controller
16M edo ram
512k pbc

I am attempting to get NetBSD 1.1 lit
Please be gentle I come from the Amiga universe
where the OS is strong plug and pray works and
the computer experts don't have to be. :-)

My trouble begins with the boot disk .
I am using kcadp11.fs
When the system boots I recieve a series of
messages that I do not recognize.

That is I do not see a message describing my
hardrive and its geometry.

My controller is an adaptec 2940 PCI
the messages I receive are:

pci buss 0 device 20:unknown vendor/product: 0x9004/0x8178
(Class:mass storage,subclass:scsi,rev0x00 not configured

Of course there are others that describe the other
boards in the PCI sllots.

There is no message describing the hard drive.
(Fujitsu M2684sau )

When I procedd with the installation I get to the
point where it is time to describe the disk geometry
and creat the disklabel.

When "install" attempts to write the disklabel iget
a message:
Labeling disk sd0...disklabel /dev/sd0d: device not configured

Initializing root filesysytem and mounting
newfs:/dev/rsdoa: device not configured

and so on for each og of the filesystems.

My drive is set up as scsi ID 1

As to the Bios settings they are pretty much stock
and as this is my first try at a "modern" :-b
system I am not sure about what is relevant.

I am using the G  Faq at Iowa state as my guide.

Any comments , browbeatings , or otherwise helpful
comments would be much appreciated.
(even a pointer to where that info would be would be great)

Thanks
al

aurbaiti @ svc.picker.com
(Happily running NetBSD 1.0)