Subject: How do I lie about memory?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/06/1996 13:18:19
Folks,
        I need to lie about the amount of memory in my machine.  I
have an asus P55TP4N Pentium motherboard.  Due to limitations on the
board I have had to put 32Meg of RAM into the machine (damn shame, I
know ;-).  The problem I have is that I am forced (* see note below)
to use an ISA scsi adaptor (AHA1542B) which, because of the > 16Meg of
memory, stuffs up.  What I need to do is tell the kernel I only have
16Meg of memory.  I have tried butchering boot.c/asm.S/machdep.c to
convince the kernel that there is only 16Meg but it still seems to
find out how much is there!  How can I convince it otherwise?  Would
"fixing" memsize do the job? (where is memsize BTW?)

* Sad story vis-a-vi scsi cards.... when I first got my motherboard I
bought an ASUS SC200 PCI scsi card (NCR53C810 chip set) on the basis
that the same people made both so it should work.  Boy was I wrong.  I
cannot even get this puppy to work under DOS!  I do have a "known
good" set of SCSI cables & etc because I was able to get the setup
working with a PCI 486 motherboard that I borrowed for a while.  I
have tried the scsi controller in two different pentiums without
success.  When I try using the card with NetBSD it talks to the disk
for a short while and then resets the scsi bus and continues on until
the next time it resets the bus - I have never had the patience to let
it get through the fsck of my scsi HD.  I am just running 1.1 at the
moment, never had the time to update to -current but I could find the
patience if it would fix my SCSI problem.  Any ideas?

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.