Subject: Re: Which Netscape?
To: John Maier <johnam@beta.datastorm.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/1996 17:42:40
According to John Maier:

>That's not true.  The Atlas Netscape build for BSDI supports
>Java and works just fine under NetBSD.

True Atlas does support Java under NetBSD but I was under the
impression that Atlas was not Netscape 2 hence my statement:

"if you want java with Netscape 2 then you need to use the linux
binary."

AFAIK Atlas is still in beta ...

>Also, from what I gather, BSDI binaries execute more efficiently
>than Linux binaries under NetBSD.  So avoid the Linux Netscape.

Cannot comment on that - I got the impression that it was much of a
muchness, just the system calls are different but I have been known to
be wrong on occaisions ;-)

>Also, an extra reason to avoid using the Linux Netscape is for
>statistical purposes.  Everytime you connect to a WWW you'll be
>telling the site you support Linux!  Currently then BSDI Netscape
>can't tell it is running on NetBSD 1.1 (without patching), but at
>you wont be declaring a false support.

Errrk - certainly a good reason for not using Netscape 2.  I use the
BSDI version of Netscape 2 myself because I am not all that fussed
about java...

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.