Subject: Console keeps locking up...
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Hollow (3Y0) <ph-a@ugrad.cs.york.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/17/1996 10:25:28
Hi everybody.

I'm fairly new to UNIX administration, and having just setup NetBSD-1.1 on my
386sx i have a problem.  Using the generic kernel (ie. the one straight from
the installation set) the console *occasionally* locks up (it seems to crash
everything, and you get to a point where you can't even turn the NUMLOCK key
on on the keyboard).

Having played about abit, i decided to recompile the kernel, but the new
version
now CONSISTENTLY locks up within a minute of logging in, sometimes even locking
up while you try to log on to the console.

Is this because i am currently running the kernel unpatched and straight out of
the distribution?

I am running NetBSD-1.1 on simple hardware (just a plain AMD-386SX with 8meg
RAM, 1 GIG HD (800meg UNIX partition) and et4000 graphics card).  I have a
friend who is also running the same hardware and also experiences occasional
system lockups with the (unmodified) distribution set on more-or-less the same
hardware.

Any ideas appreciated...

Paul Hollow

--