Subject: Re: returned mail for netbsd-help
To: Hacksaw <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/16/1996 23:17:39
On Thu, 16 May 1996, Hacksaw wrote:

> I do have 2.7 something... What I find disturbing is that it isn't
> consistant, but varies with the shell, and also, I haven't had thse
> problem connecting to some Sun's running SunOS.

That's because (a) different shells do different things with the terminal
parameters, and (b) the SunOS telnetd is broken, too.  You need to play
with the settings to make the Mac telnet stop misbehaving.

> So, back to my original question: what arbitrates whats going to be
> sent down the line when all you are running is a shell?

It's the telnet client and server that negotiate this.  The parameters you
see with stty aren't the whole story.

> Other symptoms: Running White Knight on a Mac and talking over phone
> lines to a Sun, then sun telnet to the NetBSD box, everything seems to
> work fine, except that I get double prompts, apparently because
> hitting enter once produces crlf twice.

Well, Sun's telnet client is likewise broken.  You can work around this
problem (at the risk of creating other problems) by adding a -k to the end
of the telnetd line in inetd.conf, and restarting inetd.  That's -"kludge
linemode" in case you're wondering.

The real solution is to compile and install a real telnet/telnetd on the
Sun, and to tweak your Mac settings so that it doesn't mangle things.
Most of the rest of the world has no problem (older HP-UX systems being a
noteworthy exception).

--scott