Subject: Re: returned mail for netbsd-help
To: None <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/16/1996 21:26:15
>On Thu, 16 May 1996, Hacksaw wrote:
>
>> Here's the problem: On various terminals, under various conditions, I
>> get strange terminal reactions. Under telnet from a mac, running csh,
>> [...]
>
>This is usually because the telnet client you are using is broken.  If you
>are using NCSA Telnet for Macintosh, make sure you have the latest code
>(2.7 something is the one you want).  You may have to play with the CRMODE
>setting in the client, as well.
>
>--scott

I do have 2.7 something... What I find disturbing is that it isn't
consistant, but varies with the shell, and also, I haven't had thse
problem connecting to some Sun's running SunOS.

So, back to my original question: what arbitrates whats going to be
sent down the line when all you are running is a shell? Is it Just the
shell? Is it the shell in conjunction with the tset family? does the
kernal do any processing? Is there some tricky way of fooling with
stty to make it do strnage things?

Other symptoms: Running White Knight on a Mac and talking over phone
lines to a Sun, then sun telnet to the NetBSD box, everything seems to
work fine, except that I get double prompts, apparently because
hitting enter once produces crlf twice.

Why?

I tried out these things on a test user, no .cshrc or
.login. csh.cshrc and csh.login contain no command that pertain to the
terminal.

What system call loads the ttyent for login to do its thing on a
telnet request?

I've had a look through the source but kinda wandered in circles for a
while.
--
Hacksaw