Subject: Re: CHAP, what does it stand for? The RFC and the man page
To: John Maier <johnam@beta.datastorm.com>
From: Bob Sutterfield <Bob@XC.Org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/16/1996 17:52:54
At 02:41 PM 5/16/96 -0500, John Maier wrote:
>RFC 1334 says Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol
>`man ppp` says Cryptographic Handshake Authentication  Protocol
>
>Which is correct?  If the man page is wrong, please change it.

Since the RFC defines the protocol, the RFC defines the name.

(It was going to be called the Challenge Response Auth. Prot.,
but we decided the acronym probably wouldn't make it past
most companies' Marketing departments. :-)
--
Bob Sutterfield                         +1 614 267 7611
Mission Aviation Fellowship / MAFLink Technical Manager