Subject: Re: returned mail for netbsd-help
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hacksaw <hacksaw@venus.gsd.harvard.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/16/1996 11:34:34
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 11:30:31 EST
From: hacksaw

Mail error was: 550 <netbsd-help>... User unknown
--- returned mail follows ---
Can anyone point me towards the start of the terminal control chain?

Here's the problem: On various terminals, under various conditions, I
get strange terminal reactions. Under telnet from a mac, running csh,
if I start up emacs 19.30, it somehow decides that I must be in line
at a time mode, and for no apparent reason stops the emacs session if
I try to redraw the screen.

In csh, if I hit <ESC> for filename completion, it backspaces twice
before completing the filename.

Under bash 1.14.6, it seems to leave out \n's on listing, but not
consistantly.

There are a few other problems, but the biggest one is that I don't
have a way to see what is really being ent to the telnet session, and
where I would go to change this. I was under the impression that csh
doesn't do anything with termcap. Moreover, according to ttys, it's
just a network port, so I guess getty isn't involved, but doesn't have
that much control anyway.

Where do I look?
--
Hacksaw